Saturday, October 9, 2010




Today in Newport News Virginia we will have mostly sunny skies. It is chilly this morning, with a Low temperature of 48F. Our High today is predicted to be 80F.
Our winds will be out of the Northwest at 5 to 10mph. The relative humidity is said to be 100% with a dew point of 52F. Certainly, this will change as the day progresses, as we have a 0% chance of rain. The Barometer is 29.98 and steady. Our sunrise will come this morning at 7:09AM, and will set tonight under clear skies at 6:37PM.

I am up early this morning, getting ready for a big day of sales here at the Port Warwick show. It is chilly out side. I have to continue to hook the RV up to the truck to get energy, as the battery will not hold a charge with the load I am demanding. With the truck on I can watch the weather on the TV, run lights and the computer & WiFi. Not so bad. I am fortunate the weather is not scalding hot, which would require the use of the AC.

I miss Sherry really bad. She does so much for me (and Blue). I really want her back! Jess & John leave Maine today for the two day trip back to Maryland. So by Sunday night, she will be mine again. I suppose I am being selfish, but I have come to depend upon her so much. So much in fact, that I fear it has robbed me of my independence. I am to the point that I really wonder if I could live without her, or even if it would be worth living without her. After a decade, day in and day out, 365 days a year, of being next to her, it is impossible to be without her for any amount of time. This week has been particularly difficult. Well, I should stop whining. It is almost over, and it is a small thing to do (for me to do that is) for Jess & John, as they do so much for us. It has been hard on Sherry, though, so she will be chafing at the bit to get back to our normal schedule.

As an aside, I am enjoying a Costa Rican coffee this morning, "1820", mixed with a freshly ground bean (compliments of Sherry) that is nothing less than delicious. I have to make a note to thank
Art V. On trips back from San Jose he always packs a load of Costa Rican coffee for me. I must remember to let him know how much I appreciate his efforts.

Well, the sun is coming up, and it is time to get to work.

I am back after a less than fruitful day. Just plain lousy sales. And for the non-believers, it was not just me. I talked to a number of other artist, and no one did well. My neighbor at the camp area did $1100 on one sale! If not for that, he would have been at zero. A fuser was at $850 at 3PM, and a potter was at $650. A raku artist behind me was at less than $300 at 4PM, but hit a home run on one customer (a 'wine' sale he called it) at 5PM. I am at $350. This is the worst I have ever done at this show. The only thing that changed was, this year they had a wine tasting, and beer. It is as if the only reason people showed up was to drink. UGHHH! What an effort, and for what?

Well, I returned to the trailer to get ready for the artist reception tonight, and the battery was dead. This required I hook up the truck, and jump the battery until the charge comes back up. Until the charge is up I have no lights, no water, and no fridge. I put the battery on charge, ran over to the artist party, got a plate of free food and headed back. I brought back some crap dip for The Blue Dog. Now the battery is all charged, and I am ready for clean up and bed!

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

And here is a story I related to Mary Lou Troutman, via Facebook:

"...I had one couple (in their 40's) arguing over two different panels. One panel was blue (her), the other amber(him). They were fighting like children. One had to win, and the other refused to yield. I hate fighting. I finally stepped in and asked "...in the unlikely event you two were to divorce, who would end up with the panel?". The man shot back "Her!". I said, "than by all means, get the blue. The way you two get on, it won't be long". Off they went, arguing all the while. And with them went my only chance for a sale!"


And here is one more; A lady engages me in a deep discussion regarding our glass. She is asking all of the questions, but it is obvious she has no intention in purchasing. Her only desire is to talk, and to let me just how much she knows about glass. Well, just at that moment when she is going to lay on the old "I'll be back" line, I jump in an say "could you please excuse me for just a second? I'll be back". And off I go to the rest room. I pulled a reverse "Be-Back" on her. My first ever! Not such a bad after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment