Saturday, May 1, 2010

I woke very early this moring. We sleep with the windows open, (the nights are cool and perfect sleeping weather), and this morning the fish crows were having a riot outside the window. An Eagle must have stopped for a break, for they were going mad, vocalizing their displeasure. This drove me from my bed in time to get coffee and witness a magnificient sunrise. The sun has moved a good ways up the bay from the last time I watched it come up, on the winter solstice. It was nearly at the mouth of the river on that date in 09'. Now it is raising up river, past the Russel Farm on Newtowne Neck, just above the Church Spire.
Temperatures are in the low-60'sF this morning and predicted to go into the mid-to-upper 80's F. with a light breeze out of the south at 5 to 10 mph. Good fishing weather as the old saying goes "When the wind blows from the south, it blows the bait right in their mouths". With certainty Billy is on the river. We got a phone-photo late last night of him hold some pretty big fish, so it seems he was out after work, slaying the Stripper. I believe that he is determined to catch every fish in the river.

The birds here are really turned on. I am seeing such a wide variety. They are not yet on the feeders, but will be soon I hope. I am anxious to see if my Blue Grossbeak returns this season. It was such a thrill to get his bird. I hope he comes back with his mate, and perhaps some of their off-spring to next again in our little sanctuary. I am determined to "knock-off" the bronzed headed cow birds this year, and keep them out of the area. These are parasitic brooders, and a real determent to the other, less established species. I have managed to keep them away from Palmdale, as I sent many over to the other side last (2009) spring. This spring I saw none. They are a smart bird, and know when they are not welcomed.
The river is a busy place this morning, with work boats and sport fisherman running out of the creeks. There was a time when the river was afloat with crabs, and crab pots, and the work boats would run out at first light to get started. Not so now. Crabs are getting fewer and fewer. The Oyster is gone. Too many people chasing too few resources. It looks, however that we will have some grass in the front of the house this year. I see signs of some (a thin lin) setting. This would be wonderful, as the fry and small crabs have shelter to live and grow. Eel grass makes good nursery furniture.

Well, today is the day to pull the Studios together, in preparation for building beautiful stained glass panels. We ordered another shipment of nautilus shells from the west coast yesterday. We burned through 70 last year. It is time to get started again. This year, fewer "no-show" shows and more time in studio building. Maybe this will keep the losses down, and the wolf away from the door.
Tomorrow I am off to Columbus Ohio to pick up "Fat Forest", so best I get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment