Monday, July 26, 2010

The High today will reach near 90F. The Low will get down to 66F. Winds are light from the south at 5mph. The chance of rain under sunny skies is 10%. Yesterday's Low of 79F was a record warm low. It was hot. This front that blew through has cooled off the air. I can clearly see the Virginia Shoreline this morning, which is something that I has not been easily done over the past week of so, since this heat wave set in.

So here is number 205 on my life list, a Brown Headed Nut Hatch. I like this photo as they almost never go to ground, but this one did for a drink of cool water. If you look closely you can see the sparkling drop of moisture at the end of his beak. There are three species of nuthatches in this area; The Red Breasted, the White Breasted, and this the Brown Headed. The first two are winter visitors along with the Brown Creeper. The Brown Headed is a year round bird, but mostly frequents isolated pine forests and is not often seen in the open like this one. I have been seeing him for the past week, but could not get a shot to be able to definitively species him. Well, now I have him! What possibly could 206 be? Only time will tell.

I will polish, tag-n-bag today, and pack the truck. Than it is on to the Florida Commissions, as Sherry wants one completed for our trip to Florida (it will cover expenses). So I am off. It is truly a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment