Tuesday, November 23, 2010







Sunshine and clouds mixed today, with a High 84F and a Low tonight of 58F. The winds are East.Northeast at 5 to 10mph, so we will have a nice breeze throughout the day. The Relative Humidity is 83% and the Dew point is 64F. The Barometer is steady at 30.18. Our sunrise is 6:49AM and will set tonight at 5:29PM. Our full moon will raise tonight at 7:20PM. I will try and see if I can't get a good photo of a Palmdale moon rise.

Well, all of the biker boys are down from the cold north lands. These old boys stay at the Sable Palm Campground down the way, and every morning they ride their bicycles en mass to the post office next to the studio for the campground mail. These fellows are a riot! Vern from Virginia Beach, Al from Pittsburgh, Len from the U.P. of Michigan etc. etc. What a great bunch of fellows. It is good to see them again, year after year. You never know who will or will not show up. Most are Vets, Korea and Vietnam. All retired, and all pretty dammed funny. It is great to see them again.

Sherry is off to the big city today, to get her provisions for Thanksgiving Dinner. She has gone out to Joel Road and gathered up fresh citrus. Now she is shopping at the Winn Dixie. I am working on glass when I can get away from company. Harley stopped by with fresh bell peppers. He is getting windows, a roof and a central air system put in his house. This is a Department of Energy grant given to folks with older, energy inefficient homes. Harley is Happy with the Federal Government, for now. Tomorrow, who knows.

I am cutting and grinding "9"'s for inventory. I will complete a dozen by Friday, I hope. Sherry gathered up her supplies for Thanksgiving Dinner. She will fix her traditional Cuban pork, black beans and yellow rice, and all of the fixin's. It is one of my favorite dinners of the year! Today, as a special treat, she returned home with tacos al pastor y tacos al carne from El San Joaquin Taqueria. These are the BEST taco's ever, very authentic. She surprised me with fresh Flan for dessert. Wow! What a great treat for me. What a great wife I have in her.

Once we finished all of our glass work, we decided to take a walk at the Fisheating Creek Campground. The Campground is run by the same folks who own the Gatorama. They just did get the lease last year, and they have done a great job cleaning the place up, and improving the general condition of the camp. We had a very pleasant walk along the Depot Pond, and later, along the creek. We walked a stretch of creek Blaine & I fished last time he was down. I pointed out to Sherry where we fished, and what we caught. I could almost see him fishing, long lanky kid folded into the bow of a ganoe. Two poles in the water, one with a worm rig, one with a top plug. He hit a nice Bass just off of a cypress along the point, reeled it in and had that big goofy grin on his beautiful face, eyes lit up bright, just like when he was a little boy. It was here we spotted a Limpkin, my 194th bird on my life list (4/4/07). Three days later, on the 7th we spotted bird number 195, an Everglades Kite. We spied this fellow on Lake Okeechobee during a run out of the rim canal. Two new birds in just three days, and both of them spotted with my boy Blaine. That was great fun. My how I miss him.

Last Friday I was in the Port Charlotte Walmart where he and I picked up his licence, rods and reels, and lures for the same trip. I could see him standing there, checking out the action on the rod he selected, looking over the reels. Talking about the different lures. At the time, I took all of these things for granted. I knew this was just another fishing trip. One of many that had gone before, and one of many more to come. Although I am sad I will not get the chance to fish with him again, I am so happy to have had the chance to fish with him that last time. This is a memory that has to last me a lifetime. This is a memory I am thankful for.






No comments:

Post a Comment