Wednesday, March 3, 2010


The pomegranate has recovered fully, and is leafing-out nicely. The Pole Beans (Kentucky Wonder) are up and running. I transplanted a dozen starts on the arbor (the passiflora died back during the last cold snap), and planted some seeds directly into the ground a week or so ago. All are up and really taking off!





All of the pineapples made it through the cold, and are really kicking now that the temperatures are on the rise. We just take the top off of a pineapple, stick it in the ground, and stand back. We normally get fruit after about two years. However, the raccoons get them long before we do.
We planted two Eureka Palms at the front entrance today. These are suppose to be "frost-proof" or rather, cold resistant. We will see. The Pot Garden is doing well. The tomatoes are finally starting to bloom, as are the peppers. The lettuce (loose leaf) is coming on nicely. The spinach is little more than sprouts, as are the collard greens, mixed greens, and hot peppers. The containers will have to do until I get my raised beds built, with proper fencing, and covers when needed. I really want to get this done. I really need to get this done. When I am not thinking of glass, I am thinking of these raised beds. I toyed with the idea of putting them along the creek side of the house. Than I had the Live Oaks cut back, to allow sun light along the back of the studio. I don't know which area of the yard I will build them in, but build them I will! This is my next project. Gardening really is a relaxing passion, and something that I simply have to do. It is particularly rewarding here in south central Florida, where everything grows! Soil preparation is key, which is why raised beds are necessary. And so...off we go.

I got The Fisheating Creek Egrets all soldered up today. Just as I was finishing up with the kameing along the outside edge, just as I was finishing up the last little bit of solder at the corners, the panel cracked across the large egret. A very sad moment. This required opening up a hole in the work table to create a sink to break out the damaged piece. This took over two hours. Very, Very distressing. I cut out the clear replacement piece, got it through the grinder, and I am ready to paint it up tomorrow. Paint. I haven't done that since last year. It will be quite a job getting this done, as I have to retrieve the cartoon, mix the paints, get the brushes in order, and get my head around the whole painting process. On top of that, I have to clean (burn) all of the solder out of the opening, re-apply the copper foil, and prep the panel for this last step. At any point in this process, more damage could be done to the panel. If one of the larger pieces brakes at this point, all is lost. I must push on. This (completely avoidable accident) has costs me a good day and a half, but I can not stop now. I have to greet this bit of adversity, overcome this set-back, and see the project through to the end.

We had a nice walk, after which I came back, closed down the studio, and came into the house to help Madison with her math homework. No, she is not here, but I still helped her for 2+hours on fractions/division, after which, Killian called with a request for help with his subtraction. I really wish I was there to help Jess & John with the kids in general, and homework in particular. Tomorrow. painting glass, and finishing up the egrets with (I hope) no damage.











No comments:

Post a Comment