Friday, March 5, 2010








Burrrrrr! Cold Cold Cold, Freezing, Freezing cold. Got down pretty close to freezing last night, in March, in Florida! It was 38F when I woke up, lower than that when I check this morning at 4AM. I covered the veggies last evening, but none of the citrus, which is flush with new growth. I will not know for a day of two if they experienced freezer burn.

I removed the broken body of The Fisheating Creek Egret yesterday. Everything was soldered up, both sides, when the crack occurred. I had to cut a hole in the work bench, to create a "sink" or "well" to work in.

I gathered all of the painting supplies, and dug out the "recipe" I utilized to paint the egrets. It is necessary to use consistency in order to replicate the piece so it matches the other painted elements. This egret body was done with a flat white, mixed with colomondin juice. The colomondin is a very small, sour orange. Its' juice is highly acidic, and makes a great vehicle to mix with. After all of the paints are mixed, we grind down a piece of the base glass, paint it, scratch it with necessary information, and fire it in the small kiln, to see how it behaves. Luckily all went well with the test, and we proceeded to paint up the replacement piece. Once completed, we put it in the kiln, set it for at ramp to 1250F, soaked for 5 mins, and annealed for 5 hrs. During this time we headed over to a little abandoned cracker house out in the scrub, to search out some replacement plantings.



No comments:

Post a Comment