Monday, April 12, 2010

Really late start this morning. We did not get out of the bed until after 9AM. I spent the next two hours closing out the job, while Sherry chored up all that is involved in a return to Studio, ie: laundry, clean out the refrigerator coolers, clean up the trailer, etc, etc, etc. Finally we got into the Studio, and got to work. I on the Dooley Commissions, Sherry on inventory replenishment. Sherry cut out and ground two beveled dragonfly panels, six nautilus shells, four bevel clusters and a half dozen 60mm diamond cut crystals. She is a producer, in deed.


Tom the Cabinet Maker came by at Noon. We talked for about an hour and than he was off to
Stu's for some project or another.

Sonny came by this afternoon on Star. Sherry got out a bag of carrots and gave them to Sonny. She was looking for a place to graze Star this afternoon, as her pasture is currently underwater, due to the excessive rains we have had of late. Often, she will take her down to the community center, and allow her to graze on the ball field.

After Sonny left, we took off for our walk. About two thirds of the way around town, it began to rain, so we ran home and tried to close up the studio, the house, and get in everything that could get damaged. It is now that time of year, rain every afternoon for about thirty minutes. Just enough to cool it down. I should have known better than to leave my work out, but I did. And so I had double work once I returned.


The Dooley panels are coming along nicely. I will have them foiled by tomorrow noon, and they will be soldered up, kame attached, patina applied, waxed and polished by this time tomorrow night. In doing so, I will be able to meet the Dooleys on Wednesday morning in either Clewiston or South Bay. In either case, a trip to the Banana Hombre is in the offing. I am excited! I love fresh bananas. Twenty bucks for 40lbs! Quite the deal. These are the things that I will miss the most, once Florida is in the rear-view mirror.













I started silver staining bevels, glue chip 3"sq bevels, 1.5" sq. glue chip bevels and 1.5" X 3" bevels. I have in mind to make a "Number 9" in silver stain with dichroic accents, and maybe an amber granite boarder. We will see. I have been staining all day. Tomorrow, the last batch will come out of the kiln, and we will be ready to take it to construction. Hopefully, I will maintain consistency in color, tone, and depth. I am trying to get the "tortoise shell" look I am trying for.



Here we start with laying out all of the bevels readying them to receive the silver stain. Once the silver stain is applied and allowed to dry, into the kiln they go.







First batch on it's way to the wash, while the next is preped and ready for silver stain, and than into the fire.

If this works, this will be a spectacular piece of art glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment