Friday, April 16, 2010

Beautiful morning in South Central Florida! Low temperatures in the lower 60'sF. Highs today in the upper 70's.F. Winds E/SE at 10mph. I was up at 6AM, and went to foiling. Once the final pieces were completed, I opened up the studio, and got set to solder. Sherry headed over to Ft.Myers for a day shopping. She is trying desperately to solve her IPod problems. She wants to be able to download Talking Books, and listen in the Studio. Her mission is to find someone in Best Buy to show her how to do this.

While Sherry worked out her IPod troubles, I worked on some citrus grafting. Sherry's sister Judy gave us a lemon tree about 5years ago. We had it in the house and on the deck in Maryland for years. We finally transplanted it in Palmdale three years ago. We had the Citrus Extension Agent give it a once over, and the conclusion was unanimous. The scion has died, and the root stock has shot up with a shoot, that has become the tree. I have no idea if this root stock is lemon or sour orange. In either case, the trunk has substantial thorns, so it could well be either. As it seemed after all of this time that the tree would never produce, I suggested we replace it with a sweet lemon or a sweet lime (Sambo would be my choice). Sherry vetoed this suggestion, so, today I began trying to graft a good bud to the trunk. I started with the Sanginelli blood orange, a Honey Bell, and a Satsuma Tangerine. I continued with some grafting on a sour orange back by the grapefruit. The green wood buds are healthy and hardy, and the bark is really slippery on the root stock trees, so maybe we will get lucky. If any of them take, come sprink I will cut back the root stock tree and leave nothing by the budding branch. I would love to see the buds take. I completed Terri S commission "Starz". It really turned out nicely. I took a pic and sent it off to the clients with a note to call and schedule a pick-up. Nothing left by to wax and polish.
I went right to work on a "Comet", as I had foiled most of the glass last evening. With little effort, I had the thing together in no time, with the last bit of cutting and fitting completed before I closed up the studio. I will foil the rest tonight and maybe get the thing completed by tomorrow.
The light plays nicely with this glass. I am putting two silver dichroic tiles in this time. This should add a nice touch. Additionally, I have started a Silver Dichroic "Number 9" in SI100K. I am making the boarder out of 2" this time. It will be big, and hopefully, beautiful.
We ended the day with a nice walk. We bumped into Todd and Gavin, on their way to the fields. They were hauling grain to the feeders. Todd is trying for some boars or bars or bears or bucks. I told Todd about the rifle Beverly brought by today. I think he understood completely.
Tomorrow we take the truck into Randy's to get the RV Break kit installed. We will pick it up on Monday. After the drop off, we go to the market. Also on tap is a clean up of the SCAMP and out to the road it goes with the big "FOR SALE" sign on it. After some PICS, and a listing on Craigs list, Upillar, and eBay Classifieds. Oh Boy! I can't wait to see that little thing head off into the sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment