Saturday, December 19, 2009

I continue to "leaf-in" the tree. Paint & Fire, Paint & Fire, Paint & Fire, Paint & Fire. And so it goes, until all of the front side of the panel is complete. I am firing to 1250F, soaking for 15 mins. and crashing to room temperature. I vent at 500F to 550F and once I reach 200F I open up the kiln and allow it to cool to 125F. Once cooled, I unload and wash the glass in preparation for the next painting, and reload the kiln with new glass for the next run. Each piece is painted with 5 colors on both sides, and fired 3 times. (Each color is dried before the next color can be applied). Once all of the colors are applied and fired (front & back) we will begin to apply the silver stain. Once the silver stain is applied and fired (approximately 1100F max.) the glass will acheive a nice warm amber stain, as shown in the cartoon. Not to get too far ahead of myself, this last is days away, at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment