Thursday, January 7, 2010


Only into the Low 40'sF tonight, they say. Let's hope they are right. Sherry worked on completing her small "Peace Sigh" panels (3), and started fitting and foiling the Papa commission S100B clear baroque 1921 transom. I spent most of the afternoon cutting and grinding and fitting the Crawley's Starry Night in Blue Ice. Sherry will finish this panel this weekend while I am at the Dunedin show. We decided that she would stay here and I would go and work the show. The weather is to turn fowl, so there is no reason for both of us to be subjected to the weather and no sales. I will work the show in hopes of selling some commission work. Sherry will stay in Studio and complete some commissions and replacement panels damaged during shipping. By the by. Sherry called the post office today regarding the Paul Swartz panel. The USPS sent the insurance rejection letter to Paul instead of us. Therefore we had no means of appealing the rejection. When Sherry tried to talk to customer service at USPS she was on hold for 24 mins. until someone picked her up. When the USPS agreed to send off a copy of the rejection letter, they would not send it to Palmdale, only Abell. In the course of talking to Paul to update him, he said he talked to his Postmaster and the Postmaster said that the decision to reject was not his, but some bureaucrat in St.Louis. We ship a perfectly good piece of art glass and the USPS breaks it. We report the breakage and they provide us with a form to fill out to make the claim. They do not process the claim because we were given the wrong form. We fill out another form. A bureaucrat that has never seen the damage denies the claim. They send the art glass they broke back to our client. They send the letter of claim denial to the client. They do not notify us of any of this. After we receive verbal confirmation of this from our client, I call my postmistress. I get nothing but a phone number from her, and some sadness in her voice. I call the customer service number. They will not give me the name of the bureaucrat that denied the claim, or the name of the person I am talking to, or the name of that person's supervisor. So here we are. My client has a piece of broken glass that they paid $500 for. I can't get the glass back without spending more money. The post office is as uncooperative as I have ever seen. My only recourse is to appeal. I hope the USPS can at least get the denial of claim letter to me. The incompetence of the USPS is monumental. You would think that after 200+ years delivering mail, they could maybe get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment